Without question, cats are known to be quite the snoozers. You may notice how your cats are only mobile when they are looking for food, doing their business, or searching for another place to sleep. Cats love to spend significant parts of their day relaxing. How much do we know, then, about our cat’s sleeping habits?
Here are a few things that may surprise you:
#1 Cats spend two-thirds of their lives asleep
It is perfectly normal and healthy for cats to sleep for 15 up to 20 hours per day. They conserve more energy by doing so. Generally, cats that spend the most time sleeping are either very young or elderly. Kittens are known to sleep most of the day. Yet, by the time they reach the adolescent stage, you will observe a change in their sleeping patterns when they become more active. On the other hand, elderly cats tend to slow down and sleep more as their activity levels decrease.
#2 Cats go through non-REM and REM sleep
Much like us humans, cats experience both types of sleep: rapid eye movement (REM) sleep and non-rapid eye movement (non-REM) sleep. You will notice when they are in deep REM state if you see their face or body twitch. Their eyes move rapidly and randomly, too, and their brain activity is similar to that when they are active and awake. It is during this phase that cats are most likely to be dreaming. In general, kittens spend more time in dream sleep compared to the older ones.
#3 Cats are always on alert, even when asleep
Fight or flee: your cats are always ready even when they are asleep. Only about 25 percent of a cat's sleeping time is involved with deep sleep. The other 75 percent of that time, they may be lightly snoozing. Nevertheless, try touching your cat while they are asleep. You will see how quickly they spring up to action with complete alertness. So, if you think that your cat is sound asleep, you may want to think again. After all, there is a reason why they call it a "catnap."
#4 Cats snore and are also affected by the weather
Again, cats are very similar to humans, especially when it comes to the weather. Cats also get sleepy when it is raining. Moreover, some cats are known to snore. Yes. Similar to humans, cats also snore. The snoring may be caused by the cat's position while sleeping, or there may be partial obstruction of its airway. Snoring in cats is normal, so there is no need for you to worry unless you notice other respiratory distress signs like open-mouth breathing, sneezing, coughing, producing nasal discharge, and the like. Visit the vet once you see these signs.
#5 Cats sleep most during the day
Even before they became domesticated, cats were natural predators that prowled and hunted at night. Cats are crepuscular creatures, a term which means that they are most active during twilight. During the hunt, they use their sharp sense of hearing and ability to see clearly in very dim light. Up until now, cats tend to sleep under a small patch of sunlight during the day and stay active, running in circles around your house through the night. Like their big kitty counterparts, they are naturally nocturnal following a hunting schedule, feasting and sleeping.
Here at Instachew, we have the right tools and accessories to help you raise your pets. Our variety of cat products guarantee to serve your kitty’s overall needs. Visit us and give your cats the best sleeping experience!